Why is humidity important for packaging manufacturing plantLow humidity level (below 50%RH) while printing labels on a lithography press or web offset will cause the following problems:
- Tight edges, curl and creasing leading to machine down time
- Electrostatic build up, leading to paper sticking together and not feeding or stacking correctly.
- Web breaks increasing machine downtime.
- electrostatic discharge,
- foil and film adhesion problems.
During Cardboard production, thicker papers and boards are recommended to be stored and worked at 50-55%RH. More significant is the problem of cracking on the external face of folds in thicker papers and boards, due to loss of flexibility of dry boards.Paper flexibility and strength are affected by moisture content during embossing process of paper and board. Embossing exposes the paper to the risk of cracking and tearing, especially in the newly created thinner areas of dry paper. Packaging films are particularly susceptible to electrostatic, from extrusion, through printing to rolling. Films are commonly not as hygroscopic as paper and board, higher levels of humidity are needed to help disperse static charges.
Recommended humidity level for your packaging manufacturing facilityThe recommended humidity level for packaging facility is 40 to 45% RH. (Reference: ASHRAE Handbooks) We do recommend a minimum humidity level of 50%RH.
How can you bring humidity to your packaging facility?Most of the humidifier technologies can be applied to Packaging plant. Selection of the proper humidification solution should be based on the following:
- What is the required maximum humidification capacity (load) required?
- What sources of energy are available on site?
- How is the ventilation system installed and how is the air distributed?
- Which humidification system will require the least amount of energy – calculated for the overall HVAC system?
It is common for this application to require humidification directly in the space, which is usually a large warehouse with high ceiling.
AEM evaporative humidifier and cooler from steamOvap is an efficient solution to raise humidity level in packaging facility.
ACA compressed air & water is another good choice for packaging facility since nozzles can be installed closed to the packaging machines or presses raising the humidity level to specific and critical location for the process.
Contact us to locate our local steamOvap representative.