Why humidity at home is important?
Humidifying your home will not only increase your comfort, it will also improve your health.
Regardless of the source of heating you use, heating your home during the winter will dry the indoor air. When the humidity levels drop below 35% RH, the dry air will begin to steal moisture from its surroundings. Living tissue will quickly become dehydrated and the moisture content of the wooden structures in your home will begin to plummet.A low humidity level can create side effects such as:
- Dry and itchy skin, dry hair, dry nose, sore throat.
- Contact lenses prematurely drying out causing discomfort, sore eyes.
- Dust and lint particles scatter through the air increase allergies and asthma.
- A buildup of static electricity is released when two objects come into contact.
- Increased transmission of airborne viruses and illness such as flue.
- Permanent damage to wood, causing it to crack or split.
Recommended humidity level for your home
The recommended humidity level for human health is between 30-60%RH.
(Reference: ASHRAE Handbooks)
How to bring humidity to your home?Most of the humidifier technologies are already offered on the market to provide adequate humidity for your home. Selection of the proper humidification solution should be based on the following:
- What is the maximum humidification capacity (load) required?
- What sources of energy are available on site?
- What humidification technology can meet the required humidity level and specific production conditions?
- What humidification system will require the least amount of energy calculated for the overall HVAC system?
- How is the ventilation system installed?
- How is the air distributed?
Do not rely on portable home humidifiers. Most of the time these humidifiers don’t even have the capacity to supply enough humidity for a small room.
Evaporative or ultrasonic type humidifiers should be used with proper care. Water should be daily renewed as stagnant water can cause bacteria to rapidly duplicate and spread.The use of an isothermal (steam) humidifier providing pure and clean steam to your environment is the easiest and the most efficient way to humidify your home.
humidity at home